Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:54:33 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <andrew@lake.com.au>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, sos@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GGI

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Doug Rabson wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Andrew Reilly wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:03:57PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > Since the voodoo2 is a 3d card, and X is exclusively 2d, I can't quite
> > > see how "supporting" this card actually achieves anything.
> >
> > Isn't the PEX extension some sort of 3D thing?  I never hear
> > anyone talk about it, so perhaps there's something wrong with
> > it, but couldn't some sort of 3D acceleration be built around
> > it?
>
> PEX is several years away from the cutting edge of graphics.  I'm not sure
> that it even supports texture mapping.  A better base for working on 3D
> acceleration is Mesa which is exactly what the guys at Precision Insight
> (www.precisioninsight.com) are doing to create a decent modern 3D solution
> for Linux and BSD.

Most intriguing...just went through the site, and its another project
"supported by RedHat", and "binary-only"...is anyone from FreeBSD, Inc
approaching them from the *BSD camp?

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the FAQ, they don't
support 3Dfx/Voodoo2 stuff?  I would have thought that those would have
been the first ones that they would have concentrated on, considering how
big they appear to be...?

The project itself looks promising...hopefully we'll see *BSD binaries
eventually...:)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org