Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:53:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum cant open history file

Heello

messages from the console during boot:

vinum: loaded
Cant't open history file /var/tmp/vinum_history: No such file or directory (2)
Vinum: reading from /dev/da4s1e
/dev is mounted read-only, not rebuilding /dev/vinum

its the "history file" message that worries me. It obviously does not
exist at THIS time, sine only root is mounted. HOwever, the reboot was
caused by me hitting the reset button, since kde/X11 or something in it had
locked up the box completely(1).

i dont recall seeing this message during a normal boot, and i was
wondering whether the "history" file keeps something that vinum
requires to start up properly(2).

is it something to worry about, to the extent that when there is an
unproper shutdown next time i should reboot single-user, mount /var
and start vinum manually, or can i just ignore it ?

Kiril

====
(1) at least i HOPE its kde/x11
(2) to an unknown by me definition of "properly"