Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2008 02:20:55 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1bor_K=F6vesd=E1n?= <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, marc@blackend.org
Subject:   Re: [Sort of RFC] Ports and packages for docs

Hiroki Sato escribió:
> Gábor Kövesdán <gabor@freebsd.org> wrote
>   in <493870A9.6050604@FreeBSD.org>:
>
> ga> Marc Fonvieille escribió:
> ga> > These packages provide html-split version (of course other formats are
> ga> > possible, I just want to limit the bandwidth) of the 20081130 docset.
> ga> > Another thing to note, the packages install docs in
> ga> > /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd
> ga> >
> ga> Maybe you could also add an option (like OVERWRITE_BASE or something
> ga> like that) to install them to the usual /usr/share/doc location. In
> ga> this way, we could avoid duplication between the base and the ports
> ga> version and keep using the path we got used to. It is not very smart
> ga> to install things outside from /usr/local, but I think it can be
> ga> useful in some cases and this particular is such one. A couple of
> ga> other ports also do this (like BIND, OpenSSH, etc.).
>
>  You have a point, but I prefer eliminating our documentation set from
>  /usr/share/doc and make the doc set can be installed from the
>  pre-compiled packages, not tarball which uses /usr/share/doc, like
>  Xorg to avoid such duplication in the future releases.

Yes, that seems even better. I agree with your idea. Although it
wouldn't be nice to leave any installed system without documentation if
it is not explicitly intended by the user. Maybe doc packages should be
installed automatically during the installation just like Perl?

Regards,

--
Gabor Kovesdan

EMAIL: gabor@FreeBSD.org