Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:06:41 -0800
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, robert.moore@intel.com
Subject:   Re: ACPICA version 20081204 released

Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 21:48:39 +0300
>> From: "Nikolay Tychina" <niktychina@gmail.com>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
>>
>> We are really appreciate you for release, but we can't use it.
>> How do i compile it for my FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE ?
>>
>> (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=632, somebody needs it too :) )
>
> Unless you are a good FreeBSD hacker, you don't. In a bit of time,
> depending on just how busy some folks are, it will be integrated into
> the head and, after some testing, MFCed to RELENG_7.
>
> I expect it will be there for 7.2, but it's way too late to make it for
> 7.1. If you run RELENG_7, it may not be too long before it shows up.

Please do not harass Robert.  He is an Intel developer only and is just
making a courtesy announcement on the FreeBSD forums since we use his code.

Some acpi-ca releases are not suitable for integration (think of them
like FreeBSD-current).  They need to be integrated, a patch built and
tested, etc. before even being committed to HEAD.  If a FreeBSD
committer is interested in helping us do that process more regularly,
see src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica/acpica_prep.sh for starters.  But
remember, you'll often have to implement new kernel APIs to support the
different behavior of new acpi-ca versions.  It's not just a matter of
committing the code.

--
Nate