Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2012 07:49:02 +0700
From:      Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>, Chris Nehren <apeiron+freebsd-stable@isuckatdomains.net>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Hi,

On 03 June 2012 PM 3:19:14 Doug Barton wrote:
> On 06/03/2012 05:43, Erich wrote:
> > it is new to me that Microsoft asks for a Windows update when a new
> > Office version appears at the scene.
>
> Actually it's very common for Windows applications to specify a minimum
> OS service pack level. To stretch the analogy a bit, you're also not
> going to find any modern Windows application that will run on Windows
> 98, for example.

can you still install the ports tree and its applications on a FreeBSD 4.4?

> > Microsoft also does not ask to update all other applications before
> > the latest Office can be installed.
>
> I commonly get prompted to update the .Net I have installed, and/or to
> install a newer version altogether when installing the latest and
> greatest Windows applications.

I am not one of the unlucky Windows users. I only see many XP machines at the client side running the latest Office applications.

By the concept of FreeBSD, .Net can be compare with Mono and is as such in the ports tree.

> As with all things computery, your mileage may vary.

Especially with low octane fuel.

Erich