Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 16:40:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/66481: [patch] share/examples/diskless/README.TEMPLATING tyops

The following reply was made to PR docs/66481; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michel_Lavond=E8s?= <fox@vader.aacc.cc.md.us>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/66481: [patch] share/examples/diskless/README.TEMPLATING
 tyops
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:37:28 -0600 (MDT)

 On Tue, 11 May 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Michel Lavond=E8s wrote:

 > > The "on" should be removed.
 >
 > I don't think so. The whole sentence reads as follows:
 >
 >         *   The program accesses a file called .cpignore in each director=
 >             it descends into on the source to obtain a list of exceptions
 >             for that directory -- that is, files not to copy or mess with=
 =2E

 > Perhaps it could be reworded as "each directory of the source [tree] into
 > which it descends", but this is (IMHO) a matter of taste, and I'd rather
 > not get involved in those.

 Ah--it's not an extra word, but a clash of phrasing.  Sorry, I saw it
 out of context.  How about:

              Each source directory is checked for a file called
              .cpignore. If present, this file contains a list of
              exceptions: files that are not to be copied or messed with.

 "Messed with" is a little, uh, messy.  It doesn't really tell the reader
 what might happen to a file.  It could be copied, or it could be
 overwritten.  The last three words could be dropped if it just won't be
 copied; otherwise, seems like "cpignore" is a misnomer.