Date:      Fri, 06 May 2005 14:53:16 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--On Friday, May 06, 2005 08:48:14 PM +0200 Anthony Atkielski
<atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>> So, if I *respond* to one of his posts (including his email address and
>> at least a portion of what he wrote) and therefore have *some* of his
>> "copyrighted" material in my post then he can request that *my* post be
>> removed *without* my permission?
>
> Not if your backquoting falls within the scope of "fair use,"

Here's a webpage that makes your arguments laughable:
<http://www.umuc.edu/distance/odell/cip/listserv.html>;

It's a mailing list to discuss digital copyright.  Its archives are
searchable, and there's no requirement to agree to that when you subscribe.

This one is even funnier:
<http://www.copyright.gov/newsnet/>;

Searchable archives going back to 1997.

You *still* haven't provided *one* link to prove anything you've said.  On
the Internet, that's tantamount to an admission that you're blowing smoke.

I doubt seriously your *extremely* strict interpretation of copyright would
hold up in any court of law in the US or anywhere else for that matter.  I
have no doubt that you could find a judge somewhere to rule in your favor.
After all, judges make incredibly stupid rulings daily.  But in the end,
your argument would fall on deaf ears when saner minds were engaged.

When you post to a public list, your post are not copyrighted material.
They exist in the public domain.  And *this* list *is* a public forum.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member