Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:44:36 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Dead Line <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ports download speed!

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:26:45 +0000 RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:
 > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:59:04 +0000
 > Dead Line <dead_line@hotmail.com> wrote:
 >

 > > Hello People..
 > >
 > >     I recently have noticed something!
 > >     Im installing FreeBSD 6.2R fresh install, When im downloading
 > > anything using the ports, The download speed appear as it is 33 K or
 > > 32 K! In fact im on DSL 512 K.
 > >     Im a missing something silly here? is it the actual download
 > > speed ? or the estimated? or?
 >
 > 32kBytes/s * 8bits/Bytes = 256kbit/s
 >
 > You are getting 50% of your nominal speed, that's not particularly
 > unusual.

Actually if you figure at 10 bits/byte you'll get a much closer estimate
of true maximum speed.  On a 512kbps link you'll rarely see more than ~
51.2Kbytes/s even on download tests, similarly ~150Kbytes/s @ 1500kbps.

So 33Kbytes/s is closer to 64% of maximum, and as you say is not unusual
on a heavily loaded site, or over international links.  K being 1024, of
course, which is what fetch reports, with k (bps, bits/s) being 1000.

cheers, Ian