Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:19:15 -0400
From:      Tod Luginbuhl <tod@SCIENCE-GUY.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone know what this SCSI error is about?

Craig Shrimpton writes...
>My stable system has been running great except for this incident.  I have
>all Adaptec options enabled and the system is barely loaded.  The machine
>ran for several months with no ahc options and no errors so I'm wondering if
>this is a software issue.
>
>The error:
>
>Jun  6 03:32:57 orion /kernel: sd0(ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x1 - timed out in dataout
>phase, SCSISIGI == 0xe6
>Jun  6 03:33:22 orion /kernel: SEQADDR = 0x127 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x2
>SSTAT1 = 0x13
>Jun  6 03:33:22 orion /kernel: Ordered Tag queued

I had the same problem happen to me yesterday.  I had the CPU pegged
crunching numbers, but the system wasn't doing anything else (I have a
Pentium-Pro 200mhz machine with 128 mega of RAM).  My Adaptec 2940UW
board is "old" --- revision A.  I don't have any ultra or wide SCSI
devices attached to this card.  I set the options AHC_TAGENABLE and
AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE set in my kernel configuration file about a month
ago, and this is the first problem I've seen (I had other problems
with the 2940 over a year ago).  I am going to search through the mail
archives, because I recall seeing something about this.  I added these
two options after reading a mail message about them and some of their
associated issues.  I wasn't going to send a message to the list until
I had exhausted the archives, but I thought I'd let you know your not
alone.

Tod

Tod Luginbuhl                         email:  t.e.luginbuhl@ieee.org
Code 2121                                     luginbuhl@npt.nuwc.navy.mil
Naval Undersea Warfare Center
1176 Howell Street                    Telephone: (401) 832-8241
Newport, Rhode Island                 FAX:       (401) 841-7453
USA

"Don't argue with drunks and fanatics!" -- Sun Wolf (Barbara Hambly)