Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:43:37 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>, freebsd-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD Ready for the Desktop?

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 06:06:19PM -0800, Haikal Saadh wrote:
> Just thought I'd get a word in on this.
>
> Now, I have been able to to convince a few, techincally competent
> friends to try freebsd, with a variety of methods, from logical
> debate to rating and raving to downright sabotage ('Hey you want to
> install linux, here, try this *slips freebsd disc into tray*.
> Although this only tends to work with *nix n00bs :) ), There was one
> thing that made me reluctant to sneakily put FreeBSD on the machine
> of a not really computer-knowledgeable person: The packages that came
> with 5.0.

Forgive me if I've missed something jumping into this thread so late, but
why were you thinking that 5.0 would be good for a not really computer
knowledgeable person?  Surely 4.7, which is rock-solid stable and comes on
a nice 4-CD set with all the packages you could wish for, would have been a
better choice?  5.0 may be a release now, but it's not something I'd
suggest giving to newbies in its present state.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth...

	Scott