Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:35:44 -0400
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "Rob" <nospam@users.sourceforge.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:    RE: FreeBSD router: Can my internet provider detect my home network?

Your assumption is correct. For all practical purposes ISP's can not
determine that an customer is using NAT or not. But like all things
on the internet, with special custom packet interrogation focused on
an particular customer it is possible to technically determine if
that customer is using NAT.

The cost and effort for an ISP to do that is cost prohibitive when
the only result is to terminate the customers account. ISP's have
more pressing security and usage abuse matters to invest money in
than to look for home users who use NAT.

Home Lan environments using Nat are very common, so feel free to
join the rest of us who are doing it now.