Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:29:09 -0800
From:      Andrew Sparrow <spadger@spadger.best.vwh.net>
To:        Dmitri DB <dmitridb@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best pcmcia wifi card?

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:40:22PM -0800, Dmitri DB wrote:
> I have just gone through two different wifi cards for my laptop and
> they both didn't work for freeBSD. The first one was a d-link DWL-600
> (i think) and I could only get it working through ndiswrapper, and
> even then I wanted one with monitoring mode. For christmas I asked for
> an orinoco card because I was told they are good, but again, I got one
> that is unsupported under freeBSD and no monitoring mode (It's a
> proxim a/b combocard that isnt even supported by proxim anymore)
>
> Anyways, I need some suggestions. Can anyone suggest a good pcmcia
> wifi card that both works under freeBSD and has monitoring mode? My
> primary aim for using it is probably just for finding access points
> and the like so one that supports monitoring mode is a must.

The Prism 2.x chipset, like a Compaq WL100 or an Orinocco Silver
or Gold card (you can flash a Silver card to suport 128-bit WEP,
then it's a Gold card), is most likely what you want.

Note that these are all 16-bit 802.11b cards using the 'wi' driver,
and usable with 'dstumbler' from the 'bsd-airtools' port; Way
obsolete now.  The Seattle free wireless web site has pointers to
generic Taiwanese cards using this chipset.

I'm not aware of any a/g cards with support for monitor mode - which
isn't to say that they don't exist.

Cheers,

Andy.