Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:35:08 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Aaron <click46@webpimps.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: looking for ia32 system that supports > 4GB memory and has 64 bit PCI

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 13:04:32 -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Thanks. I've had some really good suggestions. I now have a bid for a 7K$ 8GB
> single 900MHz PIII SuperMicro based system from colfax-intl.com where I
> usually have my one-offs built- this stills seems a tad pricey, but I'll
> probably actually buy it in the 4 procesor version. I noticed that they also
> offered some Tyan solutions as wlel.

www.microx-press.com has the SuperMicro 8060 system (S2QE6 motherboard in a
Supermicro SC860 (4U rack mount)) chassis for $2974.00.

You can get 8GB of memory for it for $1670.24 (16 512MB DIMMs) from
www.crucial.com (Micron memory, not cheap-o stuff).  Even though that
motherboard only needs PC100 memory, I would probably get PC133 memory
instead since you'd be able to use it in more systems if you don't leave it
all in there.

The only other thing you'd need to do is figure out what sort of Xeons you
want in the system.  Getting four Xeons (at least the more-than-two-proc
kind) will probably be the most expensive part of it.

Micro X-press has 700MHz 1MB Xeons for $1299, so with four the total for
all that would run about $9840.  (Only $5943 with one Xeon.)  The only
thing is that those processors are out of stock there, but you could
probably find them (or whatever sort of Xeon) somewhere else.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org