Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:45:08 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        vk7juf@southcom.com.au
Subject:   [from newbies] RE: IPFW2 + 4.10

On June 28, 2004, Matt <vk7juf@southcom.com.au> wrote:

>Hello freebsd-newbies,
>
>   I am still fairly new at the BSD level, migrated from linux. The
>   question that I have is, is Version 4.10 kernel compiled with IPFW2,
>   I know the doc's say that CURRENT version has and that it was
>   implemented in 2002, yet the doc's say that STABLE does not have
>   it compiled into the kernel.
>
>   Can some one please clarify
>
>   --
>Best regards,
>  Matt                          mailto:vk7juf@southcom.com.au

Hi Matt,

(Can't reply on -newbies, it's a list charter thing :).)

4.x versions come from the STABLE branch  and, so, do not
have ipfw2 compiled in the kernel by default. (Instead, they
use the older, and more tested, ipfw.)

If you want ipfw2, refer to 'man 8 ipfw', the section "using
ipfw2 on freebsd-stable," for very good instructions.

Regards,
Clayton