Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 03:01:12 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
Cc:        chad@dcfinc.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

At 5:05 PM -0500 10/7/97, Chris Dillon wrote:
>2.2-CURRENT? Thats a new branch to me...  Unless you are speaking
>hypothetically of a branch which has not yet had its first release, which
>in that case, is still taken into account by the above example.

NO. I am speaking posthumorously (sp?). 2.2-CURRENT was around back in the
days when 2.1 was the "stable" branch and before 2.2.0 was released.

>What better alphanumeric incremented counter than time itself?
I agree. Encoding the time in some scheme to save a few characters
is counterproductive. Use a scheme where the meaning is easy for
humans. Besides, we save enough characters by dropping "-STABLE"
to make up most of the difference.

Richard Wackerbarth