Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:24:54 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt said on Apr 18, 2001 at 01:27:24:
> > >Consider the following scenario: Apple has a patent on some very
> > >low-level algorithm, but doesn't tell people.  (They do claim a patent
> > >on theming, so why not on some OS-related thing?)  Their people (no
> > >doubt well-meaning) contribute it to FreeBSD.
> >
> > The second that an Apple employee formally contributed patented source
> > to FreeBSD, it would tremendously weaken the Apple patent to the point
> > where it would impede it's enforceability.
>
> As I understand it (IANAL), non-enforcement of patents doesn't weaken
> them (unlike trademarks, where you do have to enforce them actively).

You're right, but non-enforcement and contribution are not the same.
If Apple contributed patented source to FreeBSD and released it under
BSD-ish license terms, that means that anyone can use it on the same
terms as you and I.

> Unisys waited for years, until GIFs became entrenched standards on the
> web, before trying to enforce their LZW patent.  Many big corporations
> did pay up.

Probably not comparable, Unisys didn't publish or contribute the LZW code.