Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 23:09:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nathan Stratton <nathan@netrail.net>
To:        Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
Cc:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@netrail.net
Subject:   Re: NEWS server

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Dave Andersen wrote:

> Our news server is a P100 with 32mb ram, an adaptec 2940 PCI controller,
> etc, with news distributed across 3 drives (one for the history files,
> one for just news, and one for alt.binaries).  A look at top reveals:
>
> Cpu states:  0.4% user,  2.3% nice,  3.5% system,  3.1% interrupt, 90.7% idle
>
> There were 10 users reading news as of that snapshot.  By *far* our
> biggest limitation is in the disk area.  The best thing about going
> pentium is the PCI disk controllers (I've never had too much luck with
> the 486 pci stuff, but perhaps we just didn't get lucky with them).  The
> excess processing power of the pentium is almost always sitting around
> wasted.  More ram and better disk controllers are probably a better bet.
> Buying a P133 would be an extreme waste, especially over a p90 or 100.

Yes, but how many feeds you you recive and how many do you send? We
recive news from MCI, Sprint, and UUNet. And have a bunch of sites we
feed news to.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800			       NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite B-5
Email   sales@netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest