Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:35:23 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com
Cc:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fstab entry for fusefs based

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM, <kpneal@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:03:48PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> but I

>> /usr/local/share/doc/ntfs-3g/README.FreeBSD.

>> /sbin/mount_ntfs,

>> > Thanks! I now have a VERY long entry in my fstab with a to of options.
>> I'll
>> > re-boot later today to see if it works correctly.
>> >
>> > Replacing mount_ntfs with a link to ntfs-3g is what I did on version 9
>> for
>> > NTFS, but 10 dropped ntfs, so I was unsure of how to do it. I missed the
>> > README.FreeBSD file. Oops! Now to look to see if exFAT has similar
>> > information!
>>
>> Sorry, I'm a little behind on my email, but does the 'mount' command
>> run with no arguments give you the type for your fstab?
>>
>> I have no fuse or ntfs so I can't personally check on your case.
>>

> All are identified as "fusefs":
> /dev/fuse on /media/Windows7_OS (fusefs, local, synchronous)
> /dev/fuse on /media/Media (fusefs, local, synchronous)
>
> The man page for mount_fusefs(8) explains this. If you are not familiar
> with the fusefs implementation, fuse_mount is a the code that does allof
> the heavy lifting. ntfs-3g and mount.exfat-fuse. are daemons that remain
> resident as long as the volume remains mounted. so fusefs is all that is
> known to the system.
>
> While the mount_fusefs command can be used to mount the system, it would
> take several options that I am unsure how or if they can be entered into
> the fstab file.
>
> Thanks for looking at this. I am completely baffled at this point.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com

Just to provide closure on this issue, I now have both my NTFS and ExFAT
file systems mounting correctly from fstab(5).

Thanks to a response by Rainer Hurling to a similar question in current@, I
now know to use the mountprog option to specify hte program to be used to
mount the filesystem. (This seems to completely override the fstype field
in fstab, but I do use the closest one available.)

This results in the following two extremely long fstab entries, the first
for an NTFS fs and the second for the ExFAT one:
/dev/ntfs/Windows7_OS    /mnt/Windows7_OS    ntfs
rw,failok,uid=9381,gid=15,norecover,noatime,windows_names,late,mountprog=/usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g
0    0
/dev/ada0s5    /mnt/Media    msdosfs
rw,failok,uid=9381,gid=15,noatime,late,mountprog=/usr/local/bin/mount.exfat
0 0

I have to use the physical name of the ExFAT slice because the system fails
to grok that fype and create an entry for /dev subdirectory for it.

Thanks for the suggestions on resolving this one.