Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:02:46 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster is not always recursive

Doug Barton wrote:
> Ok, I found the problem, but the bad news is that I don't know what the
> solution is going to be. I've cc'ed ale since what I'm seeing is weird
> behavior by the php5-mcrypt slave port.
>
> What portmaster does by default when looking for dependencies is to run
> 'make build-depends-list run-depends-list | sort -u' to get the list of
> things to check. I used to just do all-depends-list by default but users
> complained that it was creating problems by recursing so far down the tree.

Does it mean that portmaster checks only first level dependencies unless
-t is given? (Maybe it is good behavior, I am just asking it to be sure
that I understand it well)

real world example:
If I do `portmaster amavisd-new-2.6.4_1,1` and there will be available
update for archivers/p5-Compress-Raw-Bzip2 but not for dependencies
between, it will not be updated, because it is too deep?
The dependency tree is:
security/amavisd-new
          mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin
                   archivers/p5-Archive-Tar
                           archivers/p5-IO-Compress-Bzip2
                                   archivers/p5-Compress-Raw-Bzip2

> What I'm seeing in security/php5-mcrypt is that the union of
> {build|run}-depends-list is different if I run it in the slave port than
> if I run it in lang/php5 (after enabling the OPTION for apache):
>
> In the slave port:
> /usr/ports/devel/autoconf262
> /usr/ports/devel/libltdl22
> /usr/ports/lang/php5
> /usr/ports/security/libmcrypt
>
> In lang/php5:
> /usr/ports/devel/autoconf262
> /usr/ports/devel/pkg-config
> /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2
> /usr/ports/www/apache22
>
> That's why portmaster is not picking up the dependency on apache when
> updating php5-mcrypt.

I don't know the exact definition of "slave port", but can it be that
there are 2 types of slave ports?
Where one type is for example proftpd-mysql, which conflicts with master
port proftpd (only one of them can be installed)
The second type is php5-mcrypt, which is only extension for master port
and cannot be installed alone?

> Miroslav, for your specific problem you can add the -t option to
> portmaster to force it to do all-depends-list, which will cause
> portmaster to "see" the apache dependency. Other than that I'm not sure
> how to proceed. I suppose that I could force all-depends-list if
> MASTERDIR is set in a Makefile, but I'm kind of hesitant to do that
> unless it becomes obvious that the problem is more widespread.
>

> hope this helps,

Yes, it really helps. Now I know my favorite ports mgmt tool better then
before and as more I think about {build|run}-depends-list versus
all-depends-list it seems that current behavior is better. And if
someone wants all-depends-list, there is -t options. So all is fine.

Maybe this difference can be explained in portmasters manual. (stating
that normally {build|run}-depends-list is used and only first level of
dependencies are checked/updated and if someone wants really recursive
check, the -t option must be used)

I can imagine some cases with long chain of dependencies (A - B - C - D
- E) where user wants to update A, then B, C and D has no updates, but E
has update. So if portmaster updates A and E, but not B, C, D it can
cause some incompatibilities. Am I right? So in this view, updating only
first level dependencies seems better. (but incompatible changes are
usually solved by version bump and thus updates for B, C, D)

So the last thought is some new option for portmaster to force reinstall
of all intermediate dependencies between A and E, even if there are no
updates for them.

All above are just my thoughts...

Thank you again for you explanation of the problem. It is really
educational to me.

Miroslav Lachman