Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:52:46 -0400
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot problem after GEOM setup

On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 11:39 -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Following the doc below, I am trying to mirror an existing disk, ad0,
> which holds the root and /usr partitions (a second disk holds /var). I
> have an exact same disk in as ad2 in the system and did everything in
> this document top section through dumping the data and setting up
> /etc/fstab and loader.conf. I created the /boot.config as shown except I
> replaced the '1' with '2' just like I did for the other steps, but this
> does not appear correct. I now stall when booting at the boot: prompt.
> What can I type in the boot: prompt to get back in my system and make
> the necessary changes? Also, what should the /boot.config look like to
> boot to my new disk and continue through the steps for adding the first
> disk to the mirror? I guess it looks like this now: 1:ad(2,a)/boot/loader.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/

I was able to recover with a FreeSBIE and go back, seems I was close. I
have the GEOM working now as shown below. However, after successfully
synchronizing and doing a reboot, it shows up DEGRADED after every
reboot and synchronizes again, is that normal?

genoa# gmirror list
Geom name: gm0
State: DEGRADED
Components: 2