Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 19:57:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        marko@uk.radan.com (Mark Ovens)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Europe says yes to spam

> :-(. Mind you, about 90% of the spam I receive comes from the USA so
> I'm not sure what good it would have done had they voted the other
> way. Many (most?) of this junk e-mail includes a statement that under
> some Bill or other it is not classed as spam. Obviously the US
> legislators use a different definition of spam/junk e-mail to those of
> us in the real world.

That bill is bogus.  Yes, it was a bill, but it was never passed.

In the US, there are a number of laws which prohibit SPAM, but
only in state jurisdictions.

In California, you can bill $50 per incident to a maximum of
$25,000 per day for each SPAM, so long as you publish policy
beforehand.

Publication includes:

220-mydomain.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.2/8.9.2; Tue, 11 May 1999 12:45:55 (UCT)
220-This is formal notice under California Assembly Bill 1629, enacted
220-on 26 September, 1998, that any UCE sent to or through this server
220-will be billed US$50 per incident, up to the legally allowed maximum
220 of US$25,000 per day.

A relatively easy hack to `confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG' in your .mc file.

Makes you want to set up an open relay and go public as an Internet
stock expecting to make large profits on "electronic postage stamps"
that cost $50 a pop...

If you do, I insist on a royalty of 1% for having the idea first...

> There is also another law being proposed by the EU which would make
> the local caching of Web pages by ISP's effectively illegal (something
> related to copyright IIRC).

You're not copying it, you are storing and forwarding it.

I would really laugh if somone got a cease-and-desist order against
British Telecom for storing voice mail without the permission of
the caller, using such a law... not that I'm suggesting someone do
this if the morons actually pass the law.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.