Date:      Mon, 01 Feb 1999 22:32:42 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more modular rc/init/uninit system...

Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 01-Feb-99 David Wolfskill wrote:
> >  So switch the logic:  the "foo" script should be able to tell a
> >  sufficiently interested inquirer what services it depends on.
> >
> >  If some of those have additional dependencies... well, I think we know
> >  how to do transitive closure on such dependency graphs.
>
> Hmmm.. how about getting the actual knobs committed and worry about the dependancy stuff
> later? :)
>
> The problem with this stuff seems to be that everyone gets stuck on the 'ooh, the
> dependancy stuff will suck' while not realising that 80% of the time it won't be needed..

The dependency stuff is the only reason for doing this; it's the shaft
the knobs attach to.  It's been pointed out many times before that doing
it without the "dependency stuff" is of little value.

> Perhaps we could also start making the files written into $PREFIX/etc/rc.d follow this
> standard as a start, and then do the /etc/rc* stuff.

Now that's a sparkling idea.  I'm not sure we'll need the $PREFIX/etc/rc.d
directories anymore, though, they were mostly a hack caused by our severe
lack of an /etc/rc.d directory.  I guess it won't add much to the complexity
to retain them, but it won't really work to do it partially.  I could, for
instance, write a script for my Perforce server in a couple of minutes, but
since it depends on "network", it's just not really going to work without
the system stuff, too.