Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:50:13 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        raymond@one.com.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The need for speed

>We use uni and dual processor PIII systems with FreeBSD and the MUMPS
>language (it's an ANSI database language - see http://www.mumps.org/ ).
>The language and application tend to be mainly processor bound (due
>to the poor coding in the language, mine).  I'm looking for more speed
>than a dual 1GHZ PIII system for a largish customer - to this end I'm
>attempting to boot FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE on an Intel server with
>4 x Pentium xeon 700MHZ processors, each with 1MB cache.
>
>Wether I boot from floppy or CD, this thing immediately halts
>(no twirling batton at all) with "BTX halted" after a lot of numbers.
>(I can copy down all the crash screen if this is any use to anyone.)
>
>So - two questions...
>
>1. Have I encountered a known (fixable) problem?

Dunno, sorry.

>2. What is the best way to go to get more grunt than a dual 1GHZ PIII?

A dual P6 core Xeon isn't really going to be much faster than a dual P3, in
fact, a dual 700MHz Xeon will be left in the dust by a dual 1GHz P3 in all
but very specific cache-memory-dependant applications such as (possibly)
database software.
That said, the current fastest systems for FreeBSD, short of going with
really exotic hardware, would be a dual AMD AthlonMP 1.6GHz setup (Dubbed
the 1900+)
In general, an AthlonMP or AthlonXP system can outperform any Intel based
dual or single processor system by quite a large margin, in addition to
being cheaper.
A few things to note about the AMD systems is that there are currently only
2 dual processor motherboards available, both by the very reputable server
motherboard manufacturer: Tyan.

This does limit your options to fairly basic boards with no bells and
whistles, but the other major manufacturers such as Asus and Gigabyte are
releasing boards "real soon now (TM)"

As far as stability, the systems are rock solid but have issues with certain
select pieces of hardware. You can look at a compatibility list on tyan's
website at www.tyan.com

For a reference to performance beyond my word, visit such hardware review
sites as www.tomshardware.com, www.anandtech.com, and www.aceshardware.com

Be sure to do research and get other's opinions before trying a new
platform. There are always surprises that pop up with any setup.

Charles Burns