Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:52:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy1@home.com>
Cc:        Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time change

On Thursday,  1 November 2001 at 15:27:59 -0500, Paul Murphy wrote:
> On November 1, 2001 10:56 am, Jon Molin wrote:
>> Radhika Sambamurti wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am running freebsd 4.4 with Windows 98 on another
>>> partition. I am running local (EST) time on Windows and
>>> Freebsd. The clock has not adjusted to the new DST. How can
>>> i do this?

It should be automatic.  What time zone do you have set in your
system?  In case of doubt, do:

  cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York /etc/localtime

Then check again.

>> date -d
>>
>> -d dst  Set the kernel's value for daylight saving time.  If dst is non-
>>              zero, future calls to gettimeofday(2) will return a
>> non-zero for
>>              tz_dsttime.
>>
>> see 'man date'

Did you try this?  It shouldn't make any difference if you have a
correct time zone file installed.

> As an aside, I have the same setup. FreeBSD changed the hour back,
> and then when I booted Windows it also set the hour back. The result
> was I was keeping time somewhere in the prairies (TWO hours back
> from EST):!

The basic problem is that Microsoft doesn't understand time.  FreeBSD
doesn't change the clock for DST, it just changes the way the internal
formats are converted.  You're probably best off keeping your
Microsoft running at UTC.

Greg