Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 1995 18:47:55 GMT
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@morton.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   sup:  Ok, I'm gonna do it.

Part of the 2.1 install will be a network configution menu, and on that
menu will be a submenu called `SUP	Configure Software Update Protocol'
And on THAT submenu will be a couple of items, like so:

<up>			..  Go back ..
AboutSUP		All About the Software Update Protocol - READ THIS!
Register		Register for automatic software updates

If you select Register, it will first confirm that you're on the network
and then it will ask you to select a sup server, one of which will be
freefall.cdrom.com.  Are there going to be any others?  If we're going to
do backup sup sites, then the time to do it is SOON!

Ideally, we should have sites in the following countries (initially, anyway):

Australia
Denmark
Germany
Holland
Japan
U.S.A backups

Then once they've selected the closest site, they check off which
distributions they're interested in.  A last sanity check is made to
see that things are actually sort of OK, then they will be _automatically_
subscribed to current@freebsd.org (and maybe even cvs-all@freebsd.org),
a sup file will be generated and they will be asked if they want to:

1. Run it once, now
2. Save the supfile somplace known for future use.
3. Save the supfile and enable sups through cron (at some given time).

And from this point it's off we go.  If they run the sup interactively,
they can also be asked if they want to go build from the sources and
then we can do some sort of `make update' thing.  That's the other thing
we still need to resolve, but we can get back to it later! :-)

So anyway, I'd like two things from you folks initially before I dive in
on this one:

1. A list of backup sup sites.
2. Some feedback on all of the above.

Thanks!