Date:      Sat, 02 Oct 1999 22:30:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      pedro@qui.uc.pt
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   PNIC based network card

During a FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE install from a CD, it does not show the pn0 or
pn1 devices (I have two! ]:( ) and only assumes that I want to have SLIP or
PPP interfaces when I try to configure the network.

I terminated the install without configure the network, build a new kernel
and tryed to configure it manualy.

The result was the same! On the boot msg it tells:

pn0: <82c168/82c169 PNIC 10/100BaseTX> rev 0x20 int a irq 9 on pci0.12.0
pn0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:cc:41:8a:95
pn0: No PHY MII founded (or something like that!!!) I don't understand this
messages....(if you want, I can attach all the boot messages)

but when the rc.conf is running, there is a message saying:

pn0: device do not exist
pn0: device do not exist
pn1: device do not exist
pn2: device do not exist

]:(

any sugestions?

Thanks in advance,

        Pedro

Pedro Almeida
Departamento de Física
Universidade de Coimbra
3000 Coimbra
Portugal

Tel: +351-39-852080
Fax: +351-39-827703
TM: +351-931-4039968

E-Mail: pedro@qui.uc.pt
Sent on 02-Oct-99 at 21:59:00
Fortune: The trouble with a kitten is that
When it grows up, it's always a cat
                -- Ogden Nash.

This message was sent by XFMail running on
my Pentium Pro 200 FreeBSD Box
PGP key available upon request