Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:48:35 +0100
From:      "Markie" <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        "Brian Fundakowski Feldman" <green@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: quick interactivity? question regarding -current

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Fundakowski Feldman" <green@freebsd.org>
To: "Markie" <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc: <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 3:36 PM

| On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 01:44:51AM +0100, Markie wrote:
| > Hello,
| >
| > I updated my 'do-it-all' home server box from 5.2.1-R to -CURRENT the
other
| > day, as suggested by someone a month ago because I was having panics
along
| > the lines of "kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small". Now, I can't
| > immediately tell if this upgrade has solved my problem as the first one
| > appeared after 50 days of uptime (ish) and the one that happened the
other
| > day (same panic) occured after only around 20 days, this is when I
decided
| > to go for the installkernel/world.
|
| Did you try seeing where all the memory went?  I reimplemented KVM
support
| in vmstat -m for -CURRENT, so it should be more useful for that if you
get
| a core dump (admittedly, a rare thing ...).

I didn't know about vmstat -m until the other day, I read something about
`vmstat -m | grep cred` should be really low, under 100k or something
(which mine is)

I have no idea what KVM is in terms of kernel stuff :-) What should I be
looking for, just any entry with a high mem usage? Should I setup a cron
job to dump the results to a file each day so incase I do still get the
panic i'll be able to look at the results atleast from the day before,
maybe that would help me determine what was up if it's due to a memory
leak? At the moment the most memory seems to be in 'routetbl' - 6456k in
the HighUse and 1793k MemUse. All the rest are pretty much below 100k.

Thanks!
Markie

| --
| Brian Fundakowski Feldman                           \'[
FreeBSD ]''''''''''\
|   <> green@FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to
Serve! \
|  Opinions expressed are my own.