Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 18:31:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Allan Alford <aa@thinkwell.com>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old EGA Video Card & Monitor

> You could well be right. But I can't even get the system to enter it's
> BIOS setup program, so I have no way to change this setting even if
> that's the problem. Another -hardware list member suggested that the
> BIOS setup program may use a VGA font, and that might prevent the setup
> program being used on EGA hardware.

There is a faint possibility of that, but I have set up fairly modern
systems with Hercules mono cards/monitors when I was desparate.  System
fonts usually don't assume vga/ega/etc.  You have a menu option on AMIBIOS
to tell it what kind of graphics you have, and you couldn't well toggle
through those options if you can't see the font in the first place.

> What would happen if I booted the machine with no drives? i.e. With
> nothing but a keyboard and video card/monitor? Would the machine enter
> its BIOS setup program OK? These questions may be BIOS specific so my
> BIOS is a AMIBIOS 1992 Version 1.00.03.BS0T

This it totally doable.  Are you getting any keyboard errors, btw?  That
might explain the lack of F1 functionality as well.

- allan