Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:36:40 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Subscriber to freebsd-questions <fbsdmail@sign.chg.ru>
To:        williamdwoods@etrademail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BIOS password (was: Kinda a freebsd question........)

On 13 Aug 1999 williamdwoods@etrademail.com wrote:

> This is sort-of-related to FreeBSD. Back when I was ultra-security-paranoid and running FreeBSD on an older system, I set a bios password on my box. Months later, I need to go into bios to turn on PNP bacause I am giving the system to a charity ( I got a bigger better system), but I seem to have forgotten the BIOS password :(....
>
> Any ideas around this?
>
> William

You should read motherboard manual, of course. There is a special jumper
on motherboard that resets the BIOS. But if you haven't manual you can try
to detach BIOS battery.( I have used this trick once when I was
unable to get manual). If your battery is not solder, it is usually
possible to detach one contact.
					Andrew.