Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 2004 16:31:12 -0400
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: When Unix Stops Being Fun

On Oct 3, 2004, at 3:12 AM, bsdfsse wrote:

> Ironically, I'm switching to FreeBSD because I'm already tired.  My
> bones are aching from years of abuse.  I'm tired of..
>
> ..being told what I can and can't do with my computers.  Did you know
> many scanners and photocopiers cannot reproduce money?  Apparently the
> US government has worked with the hardware manufactures to perform
> this feat.  What's next?  Probably not being able to listen to music
> that I'm not "certified" as owning.  Or being able to rip a DVD I
> purchased.

(Somewhat OT...sorry...) I agree with your post 100%, and I remember
frequent discussions about this (scanning money being hardware
crippled), but sitting here and reading your post reminded me my wallet
was on the desk and my new scanner is sitting here...well, thought I'd
test it.

Must be my scanner's broken, because I just scanned and printed the
face side of a $20 bill.  Almost 11" long on the printout, but still
looks like a giant $20.  Just curious if it would work or not.

Excuse me while I shred it before the Secret Service comes knocking on
my door...

-Bart