Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:14:38 -0400
From:      "Maxim Khitrov" <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
To:        "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a new workstation - dual or quad-core CPU for FreeBSD 7?

On 9/14/07, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm about to purchase a new system for myself. It will dual-boot
> > Windows XP, which will be primarily used for gaming, and FreeBSD 7.0
> > for everything else. I wanted to ask if the new ULE scheduler will
> > benefit from having four cores on the CPU, meaning that if I have many
> > concurrent tasks, is it able to efficiently spread the load over all
> > available cores?
> >
> > My choices for CPU are either the dual-core E6850 or quad-core Q6600.
> > The latter has lower FSB (1066 vs 1333) and frequency (2.4 vs 3.0),
> > but I'm trying to decide if the addition of two extra cores will bring
> > about noticeable improvements. There are also some issues for gaming,
> > but let's ignore those for a moment. Which CPU would benefit FreeBSD
> > 7.0 the most, which one would you pick?
> >
> > - Max
>
> There seems to be some general issues with 7 and e6850/q6600 (I don't know
> if these are due to the processor the chip set or what):
>
>       * Doesn't reconize both SATA and PATA drives at the same time
>       * X ( 7.3) has a hard time using brand specific drivers for PCI-E
> cards (for example I am using vesa to drive a nVidia and I get the full
> advertised resolution but I also have screen "blinks" see FreeBSD-x11
> mailing list for details on all this)
>       * Some ports are broken in 7 (in my case all native Java compilers and
> the hp branded printing subsystem)

Could that have something to do with your motherboard? I plan on
getting Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6, will likely order all the parts this
Monday or Tuesday. My choice is still between those two CPUs even if
FreeBSD has some issues with them right now. Hopefully it will be
fixed before 7-RELEASE is made.

I could still use some advice on which CPU would be better assuming
everything works as it should. I'm leaning more towards Q6600, since I
could overclock it a bit and essentially get 2 extra cores for free.
The main question is still whether ULE will take full advantage of the
available processing power and offset the negative impact of lower
FSB?

On Windows tests it's pretty clear that things like video editing and
3D rendering greatly benefit from four cores, but of course it's
difficult to locate similar tests run on other operating systems.

- Max