Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:44:23 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Mike Barton <mike@dad.state.vt.us>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disklabel 101?

On 2001-Apr-07 10:24:12 -0400, Mike Barton <mike@dad.state.vt.us> wrote:
>Are there any issues with placing swap first on the hard drive?

I think this is safe for FreeBSD, but some Unix variants will start
writing at the beginning of the swap partition.  This means that if
the swap partition is at the start of a slice, you'll over-write
the partition table and bootblocks.

> Unless you
>insist on filling the drive, it seems to me that this swap arrangement would
>result in less stack travel.

AFAIK, for most modern disks, latency is larger than the seek time.
The major advantage is that the outer tracks provide a higher data
rate than inner track.  If you are really concerned about minimising
seek/latency overheads, you need to study your disk access patterns
and take them into account.

Peter