Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 10:04:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE32

On 18-Mar-00 Randall Hopper wrote:
> Andy Sparrow:
>
>  |Yup, I think so. That's what my AWE32 daughterboard used to probe as
>  |before I put memory in it...
>  |Unfortunately, I can't use VoxWare (and thus the AWE driver) anymore
>  |with -CURRENT.
>
> Why is that?
>
> Randall

Because, once again, they've gone and deprecated the Voxware drivers
<sigh>.  Frankly, this is very disappointing to me.  If you recall, we
went through exactly the same thing a good while back with -current (just
prior to 2.2.8 or 3.0, I think), and there was such a hew and cry that
they put it back in very quickly.  Something tells me that's not going to
be the case this time.

I'm running 4.0-STABLE now, and frankly, I'm not too happy with the newpcm
driver(s).  I'm getting a lot more chop now playing MP3s on my 166 MHz P5
than I did with Voxware.  Bummer.  Not to mention *NO MIDI*.  I'm sorry,
but timidity just plain *sucks* compared to awemidi with a nice wavetable
loaded.

I may end up just going back to 3.4-STABLE and staying there.  I *liked*
my awemidi.  I *liked* smooth MP3s.  I *don't* like this.  <sigh>

Oh, they've also removed the "pnp" (boottime) kernel config command.
While the new PnP detection seems to work pretty well, I'd still like to
be able to disable my motherboard audio like I've been doing for a long
time.  Haven't figured out a way to do this yet.

Why must they do this?  We went through the whole thing about not removing
older functionality until there was a suitable replacement before.  This
is just nuts, if you ask me.

Sign me,

Mystified (and a little pissed)

--