Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 00:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Drebin <frank@mini.chicago.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp errors (421 Service not available)

OK, so I've got to be doing something wrong and it has
to be simple. :-(

I'm trying to ftp to a site and no matter what I do, I
get this:

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

However, this doesn't happen with all sites.  For instance, I can
ftp to ftp.freebsd.org just fine.  Also, I completely cleared my
firewall rules and tried the site that fails and it still fails,
so it wouldn't seem to be a firewall problem.

My setup is a 4.5-Stable machine running ipfilter and ipnat.  I'm
using the stock ftp.  And, I DO have FTP_PASSIVE_MODE set in my
environment.  The basics of my firewall rules are to block anything
coming in except smtp, http and ssh and let everything out.

Can anyone point out the error of my ways?

Thanks

Frank