Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 18:15:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        robh@uunet.co.za (Rob Hunter)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with dual boot

Rob Hunter wrote,
> Hi
>
> I have a machine running Win98. I've got a 20 gig ide drive in it. I'm
> having difficulties getting FreeBSD booted after installing (3.3-RELEASE).
>
> I'm installing from cdrom. This is what my partitions look like:
>
> part 1: fat32 (win98 installed - 4 gig)
> part 2: non-dos (3.5gig) this is where I'm installing FreeBSD
> part 3: fat32 (12 gig)
>
> I manage to finish the installation, and then ask it to install FreeBSD's
> default boot manager.

IIRC, the choice of boot manager is wa-ay at the begining of the
install process when you are doing the disk slicing and partitioning.

> After this, I get my 2 options when booting, and am
> told to press F3 to boot FreeBSD.

OK, you say that FreeBSD is slice 2 of 3. But you get two choices at
boot time, and the choices are 'F1' and 'F3'?

> I hear an audible beep when pressing
> this, and the only key that does anything is F1 (Win98).
>
> I've tried installing os-bs and end up with the same.
                        ^^^^^
Huh? Not sure what that is.

> I've tried changing
> active id tag's too.

The boot manager just uses those for the 'Default:' on the menu.

> I've also tried letting it modify the start id
> automatically upon booting.
>
> No matter what, I can't get it to boot my bsd partition :(
>
> Any suggestions? Please reply to me personally as I'm not on
> freebsd-questions.

Could you show us the fdisk output? Are any of the slices "extended
partitions?"