Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:01:41 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014858101.df197b@mired.org>
To:        Mike Doyle <relyod@cooperationireland.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telecommuting

Since noe one else answered, I'll take a shot at it...

Mike Doyle <relyod@cooperationireland.org> types:
> My boss has just asked me to come up with a proposal to start allowing
> our staff to telecommute. I have to have an interim proposal by
> the middle of next week. If any other people out there have done this,
> what are the issues I need to be aware of ?

I think the single most important issue is that those who are
telecommuting not feel isolated from the rest of the
organization. This means that telecommuting should be limited to at
most half time, and telecommuting to a meeting should be avoided at
all costs. Only allow that for emergency meetings where waiting for
them to come in isn't acceptable. Make sure that everyone knows who is
and isn't in each day, and encourage people to go by the office of
people who are in instead of sending them an email to reinforce the
connection with the company. To go into the office, spend all day by
yourself answering email as if you were at home, and then go home
without ever having talked to anyone face-to-face is one of the most
alienating things I've ever been through.

	<mike