Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:45:30 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E1rcio_David?= <marciofdavid@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD ? What kind of OS is that ?

	Okay, first off, do NOT send HTMLized e-mail to the list.  That's extremely
bad form and it's generally enough to get you shot on sight (with a water
gun, rubber band or can of silly string).

	Second of all, from your original message (which I missed), since you do
not like the idea of a login prompt and have had such trouble with Linux in
the past... I doubt that you would be ready for the world of FreeBSD.  Linux
makes a good starting point in the world of OpenSource Unices... but once
you get over the cuteness of Tux and the idea that you're doing something
"elite", FreeBSD is where you would come to actually discover what a great
operating system is.

	Thirdly, as far as graphical interfaces go, you don't have to use one.  In
fact, you can get rid of XFree and go on about your business in command line
mode without a problem.  But, given that you've been working with nothing
but GUI-type OSes, I doubt you'd survive very long in a command line driven
atmosphere.

	Fourth, if you're just looking for an OS to install and play with just to
say that you have experience with it, you're going about it all wrong.  Go
to your search engine of choice and have fun running searches.  I'm sure
there are a few more out there than you've been able to uncover.

	My fifth comment is that I have OS/2 on one of my machines, and I use it on
occasion.  (And no, you may NOT have a copy of it!).  OS/2 is slowly moving
into the category of the legacy OS, as everyone and their dog has bought
into the Microsoft marketing machine's thinking that you simply cannot have
a company that works and runs properly without having at least some sort of
Microsoft product involved.  Are you sure that you like OS/2 without ever
having used it?  This makes me wonder...

	Maybe it's my interpretation of your English (which I'm sure is better than
my attempts at communicating in your native tongue would be), but if you're
not wanting to install or use a Unix-like OS (which would be the
classification that FreeBSD falls under), why are you here?  Additionally,
if you're always going to "go back to Windows", why should you even try
something that would be different?  If you were satisfied with how Windows
performed on your hardware, you wouldn't be looking elsewhere, or so I would
be inclined to believe.

	Finally, if you really do love to program in BASIC, as you comment, might I
recommend something along the lines of a TRS-80 Color Computer 2 or a
Timex/Sinclair 1000?  Those would be much more up your alley than a full
blown PC.

--- Andrew C. Hornback
"I've been there, I've done that, and yes, I designed the T-shirt"