Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:21:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Subject:   Re: Previous Message on /etc/defaults

> Err, all the options are still listed in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and are
> documented in the rc.conf manpage (or should be).

True.  And it actually looks more detailed than what's in the rc.conf
files.  :) It also means flipping windows.  While for 'experts' and those
of us who've been using this a few years, yes, it's doable or even second
nature.  It also means cut-and-paste, which is not as easy as simply
replacing the text.

> > As I said, my suggestion also makes it quite obvious that the defaults are
> > just that.
>
> Except that in practice your suggestion would result in many users breaking
> their systems.  As it is now in -current and 4-stable, you can copy the
> existing defaults/rc.conf into /etc and edit it if you want.

Breaking the system?  Yes, I can see that.  *scratches his head* When you
remove win.ini, on teh other hand, you get better performance...  Sorry, i
just don't buy that.  If you remove files in /etc, or /boot, or
/usr/local/etc, you break things.  I can see the point in redundancy on
rc.conf, but it just leaves me feeling a bit quesy to think about this
argument.