Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:23:32 -0400
From:      "Philip Mullis" <philip.mullis@syx.ca>
To:        "Matthew Smith" <matt@smiffytech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some small networked box with FreeBSD support?

An option most people overlook are the tools for making embedded and
small footprint builds which exist in the usr/src/tools  tree

You can create Very small images with tools like tinybsd and nanobsd
both of which produce image files which you can simply dd to your cf
card

I have a pbx,webservet and a few other things in less than 58megs

There are some notable tips and tricks when dealing with solid state
units like cf cards but are application specific.

I've been using the pcengines boards for a long time, one of the
largest sets of benifits I found was

-no heatsinks or fans
-cf cards make it completly silent
-built in crypto acceleration on the new geode based units
-price, there similar to soekris but 1/4 the price
-mfgr provides full blueprints
-best of all ... Low power consumption 4watts! On average.. You can
run one of a large battery for over a week and in countrys where
residential power is 75c/kWh these can save you over 600$ a year in
power( for those considering turning an old clunker into a router )

Sent from my iPhone