Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 02:43:06 -0400
From:      Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        Frederik Meerwaldt <frederik@freddym.org>, "phpStop.com" <feedback@phpStop.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 08:38:43PM -0400, Sergey Babkin wrote:

> By the way, speaking of that, things in FreeBSD tend to be more
> synchronous with docs than in Linux. Also FreeBSD has much better
> backwards compatibility (though alas still not as good as commercial
> systems). In Linux the applications tend to break and require
> recompilation when the kernel is upgraded to the next
> second-digit version.

Mostly, that is only for system utilities.  Few applications care about the
kernel, and I run plenty of old applications with just a compatbility library
installed, just like I do on FreeBSD.

I dislike the package systems like rpm and debian when they keep me from
running different versions of a library unless I force it.  Some dependencies
just don't make any sense.

The FreeBSD situation is better, but no UNIX is exactly library heaven once
you get away from the basics (C, kernel, POSIX).  Graphics and sound are
still alphabet soup.  Hopefully that will settle down in time.

--
"Those who trade liberty for security will have neither -- (??)"
                                shannon @ w i d o m a k e r . com