Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2002 05:52:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port managment

On 08-Nov-2002 Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:
> Just to sum it up for the archives
>
> Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>>
>> On 07-Nov-2002 Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have acrually a few questions:
>> >
>> > 1)    How can I find ports that do not depend in any other ports?
>>
>> pkg_info -ar
>
> Or, a very nice port (/usr/ports/sysutils/pkg_tree) I just found. It
> does the same job with better on screen results. It can even display
> dependencies of the dependencies in a nice graphical tree.
>
> pkg_tree -v

Interesting.  I'll have to have a look at that.

>> > 2)    How can I find files that are unused by any port?
>>
>> /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/check_consistency
>
> I think /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/consistency-check examines modified
> files within /usr/local/bin only.
>
>> or
>>
>> pkg_which file(s)
>
> A better way to examine files in any path would be to use pkg_which -v
> Something like "find <PATH PATH ...> -type f | xargs pkg_which -v |
> fgrep '?'" would check against any port in any path.

Well, yes, I didn't elaborate any further on this one.  Just wanted to
point you in the right direction.  :-)

>> > 3)    How can I find modified files?
>>
>> pkg_info -ag
>>
>> > 4)    How can I find missing port files?
>>
>> Need some clarification as to what you mean.
>
> I think your previous answer covers this one as well. I meant if any of
> the already installed port files are missing. "pkg_info -ag" displays
> results of any modified/missing port files.
> Is there a way to also check the system (/bin /sbin ...) for
> modified/missing/extra files?

man mtree

>> > 5)    _AND_ (yes finally) How can I find missing port dependencies?
>>
>> pkg_info -I $(pkg_info -arq | cut -d ' ' -f 2)
>
> I am not sure here if the results are any missing port dependencies. I
> get a multiple list of the ports that are already installed.

Well, the idea here is that if a package is missing, an error message will
be displayed.  Perhaps a better way to run this would be:

pkg_info -I $(pkg_info -arq | cut -d ' ' -f 2) >/dev/null

So only any errors will actual display.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>