Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 23:31:26 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

John S. Dyson wrote:

> > Personally I'd prefer to use TenDRA if at all possible.  It seems to
> > be much better than GCC when you look at error control etc.
> >
> > Besides, it has the license we've got as a goal to have overall (ie, a
> > BSD-style license :-)
> >
> Interesting idea...  I wonder how good it's code generation is (what is
> the cost of using it, performance wise???)  If it isn't very slow, it
> might be a more reliable alternative.

I looked at the floating point code generation, specifically, a
while ago.  This was very agressive (TenDRA optimizes fully by
default), though to the extent that values would change, simply
due to spilling of a register, and casts were not necessarily
honored.

Obviously this isn't directly relevant, but probably indicates a
high degree of general optimization.

--
Robert Nordier