Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 12:32:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   networking: ed0 timeout

Hello;

	I have succeeded in getting my mystery card recognized by the ed0
driver . It turns out that doug white was right when he surmised that the
card was an ne2k clone. The reason i was not able to visit it was due to
the fact that the port addr had been set to 0x240. A fellow on
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet sent me a diagnostic program for my weird chipset
(UMC um9003af) and it reported where the address was set.

	So ed0 returns the address now and all that happy stuff. I do,
however, keep getting timeout messages when i boot the machine, and when i
shut down, I assume they are getting issued all the time, but that they
are just masked out from the console, since i dont login as root.

	Why is this happening? how can i fix this?

	Ultimately, i would like to be able to visit the /dos partition of
this machine from my win31 machine . What do folks use for this? can u run
the windows apps found on that disk on the second machine?

 i have added the nfs and router and gateway stuff back into my kernel, based
 on what is in the lint config file. I have also changed sysconfig to yes
where it asks about the pcnfs daemon. The nfs and pcnfs stuff now shows up
when i boot. I understand that samba is not suitable for this, since i
have neither lanman or wfw or w95.

	i am assuming that i need to use the 10.0.0 net for my machines,
so i have the freebsd box as
127.0.0.1 localhost
10.0.0.1 localhost
10.0.0.2 upstairs

and the ifconfig_ed0 has 10.0.0.1 as the address

is this the right idea? i have also configured /etc/exports:

/dos -alldirs 10.0.0.2

	any corrections or pointers to good docs would be appreciated!
tnx!
 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life