Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 22:50:42 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drewt@writeme.com>, "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network Card Troubleshooting (was How To Configure 2nd NIC?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Tomlinson" <drewt@writeme.com>
To: "'Josh Paetzel'" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>; "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'"
<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 10:04 PM

You should have some sort of set up utility on the driver disks for the
card...that will give you the range of choices that you have.  There isn't
really a method for choosing them, just use the next one on the list and see
what happens.  I don't know exactly what kind of card you have, but if it is
older it might have jumpers on the card to set the iomem addressing instead
of a software utility.  Plug and Play has kind of removed us from the joys
of configuring hardware, but most cards require one or more irqs, a range of
port addresses, and a range of iomem addresses...anytime you are installing
two of the exact same card you can run into these issues, but different
cards can also conflict with each other as well.....back in about 1982 I
remember I has a frobozz fribulator that could use only irq 4, and that's
the same irq that my time/date card just had to use as well....neither one
of them could be changed, so one of them had to go.  As I like to say, I can
handle not knowing the time or date, but if my computer can't fribulate,
what's the point of life?

Josh