Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 02:31:22 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Ion Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@go.ro>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USR 56k Profesional Message Modem

Ion Mihai Tetcu wrote:

> Thanks for your replay.
>
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> > Ion Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Could someone provide me with some info about this type of
> > > modem ? (If possible also a web resource and/or some tehnical
> > > book, as my boss is a little bit untrustfull).
> > >
> > > I`m having a debate with my boss: he tella me it is not a good
> > > modem becouse "it doesn`t look like" the one he saw at our ISP.
> > > I need to demostrate him that it is a good modem for a dial up
> > > connection over a analog line and also for a dedicated analog line,
> > > and that it is capable to "understand" GOOD with the Sportser and
> > > Courier modems our provider has.
> > > It undestands the V.90, x2, V.34, V.42/MNP 2-4, V.42 bis/MNP 5
> > > standards.
> >
> > You can get the information from 3Com's web site at
> > http://www.3com.com/client/pcd/products/prod-56k.html. I am with your
> > boss because I can't see using a voice modem, which needs additional
> > system capability to be functional, on a computer dial up line. I
> > equate adding a voice and Pro modem on to a FreeBSD system with more
> > cost and no additional functionality to the dial out capabilities of
> > your system.
>
> I`ve did search through that page, and the closest was 56K Voice
> Faxmodem
> Pro; i was unable to find the specific type i am looking for (they've
> told me :
> >From the product number you have given this product appears to be a
> Gateway OEM modem.  Please contact Gateway for support with this
> product.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.)
>
> I plan to move this modem to an win98 computer (I have a mixt
> network).
> I`ve found this modem at the same price with an non-vioce and Pro one.
>
> My original question was (it seems due to my bad english i have to
> rephrase it): Is there any disadvantage using this modem ?
> Are there any incompatibilities between it and Sportster or Courier ?
> (would a Sportster or Courier understand better with a Sportster or
> Courier ?).

I have been facing the same problem. My spare 33.6kb modem died and
you can find a lot of Winmodems and voice/fax modems. If you use it on
the Windows machine, I think you will find that you need a sound card
and additional IRQ to use their software and a voice modem. I think
that adding a voice modem to a line that is mostly just dial out is
adding additional trouble. Something else to disable before you use
it.

I've always found that USR modems talk to USR modems and it didn't
seem to matter which type it was. I've alway been told that you will
not get 56kb between hobby (end-user) modems. The hobby modem can
download 56kb but will only upload 33.6kb and two hobby modems talking
to each other are going to run at 33.6kb.

Kent

> > I have also found that USR modems (Sportster's, Courier's, and etc)
> > talk to each other just fine. An external voice modem isn't going to
> > look like a rackmount modem, which your ISP probably has.
>
> I know, but it isn't the look who counts, isn't it ? :-)
>
> Ionut

> Ion Mihai Tetcu
> NetAdmin & Web Designer
> ARDOR - www.ardor.ro