Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:08:42 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   new kldconfig(8) [was: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path]

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 11:02:50PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> OK, after some more discussion on IRC, it seems that the "don't check"
> approach is best, with kldload-time checking.  I'll think some more
> about it when I get home.
>
> Thanks to all thread participatns for the feedback, I'll be back! :)

And, as promised, I am :)

The next version is at:

  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/devel/sys/kldconfig/kldconfig-01.tar.gz

with the (attached) textual manpage rendering at:
  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/devel/sys/kldconfig/kldconfig.0-01.txt

I've tried to follow ldconfig's syntax for the most part, but some
deviations were kind of necessary.  One of them is the reuse of
the -i option to specify insertion of the new paths at the start,
since I agree now with Mike Smith's opinion that kldconfig need check
no paths, and Robert Watson's opinion that ldconfig's default checking
mode might be removed at some point in favor of load-time checks.

G'luck,
Peter (bracing for the next round of well-grounded comments that
shall probably lead to another almost total rewrite :)

PS.  Ah well, I just noticed a grammar error in the very first words
of the manpage's 'DESCRIPTION' section :)  Shall be fixed in the next
version :)

--
This would easier understand fewer had omitted.

KLDCONFIG(8)            FreeBSD System Manager's Manual           KLDCONFIG(8)

NAME
     kldconfig - display or modify the kernel module search path

SYNOPSIS
     kldconfig [-dfimnUv] [-S name] [path ...]
     kldconfig -r

DESCRIPTION
     The kldconfig displays or modifies the search path used by the kernel
     when loading modules using the kldload(8) utility or the kldload(2)
     syscall.

     The following options are available:

     -d      Remove the specified paths from the module search path.

     -f      Do not display a diagnostic message if a path specified for
             adding is already present in the search path, or if a path speci-
             fied for removing is not present in the search path.  This may be
             useful in startup/shutdown scripts for adding a path to a
             filesystem which is still not mounted, or in shutdown scripts for
             unconditionally removing a path that may have been added during
             startup.

     -i      Add the specified paths to the beginning of the search path, not
             to the end.  This option can only be used when adding paths.

     -m      Instead of replacing the module search path with the set of paths
             specified, ``merge'' in the new entries.

     -n      Do not actually change the module search path.

     -r      Display the current search path.  This option cannot be used if
             any paths are also specified.

     -S name
             Specify the sysctl name to use instead of the default
             kern.module_path.

     -U      ``Unique-ify'' the current search path - if any of the directo-
             ries is repeated one or more times, only the first occurrence
             remains.  This option implies -m.

     -v      Verbose output: display the new module search path.  If the path
             has been changed, and the -v flag is specified more than once,
             the old path is displayed as well.

FILES
     /boot/kernel /boot/modules /modules
             The default module search path used by the kernel.

DIAGNOSTICS
     The kldconfig utility exits with a status of 0 on success and with a
     nonzero status if an error occurs.

SEE ALSO
     kldload(2), kldload(8), sysctl(8).

HISTORY
     The kldconfig command first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0.

AUTHORS
     Peter Pentchev <roam@FreeBSD.org>

FreeBSD                          June 15, 2001                         FreeBSD