Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:23:14 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <jpapalia@voicenet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dynloader / Make aout-to-elf build

From: John Papalia <jpapalia@voicenet.com>
> I just did an upgrade from 2.2.6 -> 2.2.8 which went off without a
> hitch. Following the instructions that several people submitted not long
> back, I embarked upon 2.2.8 -> 3.2-Stable.  CVSup went no problem.  I'm
> not trying to do a make aout-to-elf-build.  After about 3+ hours, it
> bombs.  This question was posed eariler to the mailing list, but was
> never answered, so I'm cutting and pasting that info, since I currently
> can't access my build log files...
>
> So far, I've tried the "simple" solutions:
>
> 1) Rerun the make aout-to-elf-build command (bombed again, same place)
> 2) Remove and re-cvsup both the /usr/src/gnu and /usr/src/contrib/perl5
> trees (still bombed, same place).
> 3) Turn off that computer and email this list :)
>
> If more info is needed, please fire away.

Don't know why your build is screwing up, but I have taken several systems
from 2.2.8-STABLE directly to 3.2-STABLE with no problems.  Here's how I did
it:

1.  Update the 2.2-STABLE system to latest 2.2.8-STABLE (cvsup, make world),
before upgrading to 3.2-STABLE.
2.  Copy your Sendmail *.mc file and Kernel Config file to a safe location.
3.  Remove /usr/obj/* ( rm -rf /usr/obj/* ; chflags noschg /usr/obj/* ;
rm -r /usr/obj/*)
4.  Remove the 2.2-STABLE sources (rm -rf /usr/src/*)
5.  Run cvsup to get the latest 3.2-STABLE sources
6.  Copy your Sendmail *.mc file to /usr/src/etc/sendmail/*.mc.228.  Create
a new *.mc file for sendmail 8.9.3, with a similar setup as the old *mc.228
file.  Also you might want to add SENDMAIL_CF=<your mc file name>.cf to
/etc/make.conf
    NOTE:  You will have to update
7.  Copy the Kernel Config file to /sys/i386/conf/*.228.  Create a New
config file from GENERIC and adjust it as necessary to match your hardware
in the *.228 config file.
8.  Use "make upgrade", and when it asks for the kernel config file - choose
the file you just created.
9.  Wait Several hours for the builds(aout & elf) to complete, then have it
continue with the installation.
10. While it's installing, run mergemaster to update your /etc directory.
11. Edit your /etc/rc.conf and remove the code at the bottom that pulls in
the ${rc_conf_files}.  If you DO NOT remove this code, rc.conf will cause an
OUT OF FILE DESCRIPTOR error due to an endless loop.
12. Have it install the Kernel and then let it reboot the system
13. After it reboots, perform a "make move-aout-libs", as not all aout libs
were moved during the upgrade.
14. Create the following links in the /usr/lib/aout directory:

ln -s libdescrypt.a libcrypt.a
ln -s libdescrypt.so.2.0 libcrypt.so.2.0

NOTE: 1. Replace libdescrypt.* with libscrypt.*, if you do not have the
libdescrypt.* files installed.
           2. These links are necessary for any aout program that needs to
use libcrypt,
               eventually everything should be recompiled to ELF format.

15.  Update the sendmail.cf file by using "make install" in
/usr/src/etc/sendmail.

Scot