Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:15:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
Cc:        questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD & Win98 2nd ed coexistance?

No real dilemma. You need to have Win98 installed first. Win98 doesn't have a
bootloader and doesn't understand multi-boot. The FreeBSD install will see
Win98 and allow for it using its bootloader. Quick and easy, if Win98 is
installed first.

On 28-Jan-00 Bob Willcox wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was hoping someone out there might have a quick answer (or even a
> suggestion) to a delema I am having.  I installed FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE
> on my Dell Inspiron 7000 notebook as the first partition and I am now
> attempting to install Windows 98 2nd Edition on the same 8GB disk as the
> second partition (I have about split the partitions evenly at just under
> 4GB each).
>
> Problem is that after Windows setup dutifully formats the 2nd partition
> it then claims that the format had an error and is not compatible.  I
> have done this a couple of times so I'm quite certain that unless I come
> up with some new approach there's no sense in trying it again. :-(
>
> I apologize for the slightly off-topic nature of this post, but I'm
> much more of a FreeBSD/Unix person than Windows (which I avoid when
> possible) so I naturally thought to ask here first (and I suspect that
> if it wern't for FreeBSD already being on the disk the W98 install would
> work).
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
> --
> Bob Willcox                 Idleness is the holiday of fools.
> bob@pmr.com                      -- Anonymous
> Austin, TX

"if you believe in Nothing...
...Honey, It believes in you."