Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:39:46 +1000
From:      "Robert" <robbak@comnorth.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ip trafic accounting for Internt Cafe

I am have recently installed a router in an internet cafe which has just now
got adsl broadband access (yes, we are terrifically behind the times here in
far north Queensland - it became available just last month!)

as there are traffic limits and charges (14c Aust over 3G) they need to keep
track of traffic used and charge extra to large downloaders. They are also
kitted out with Burners etc, so anything's possible.

Can anyone give me the best way to do this? I need to supply them with a web
page that gives them the traffic used, and a function to clear the counter.

I could accomplish this with an ipfw rule (count log any from any vie ed0)
and tail /var/logfile | myprog, which would parse the logs into counters for
each ip address, write it to a file etc, and cgi to produce the page. But
the constant disk writes sound inefficient to me.

so 1 - would using a small memory file system be a good stable solution?
2 - am I on the wrong track entirely?
3 - am I re-inventing a very common wheel?

Thanks for your help. If you could cc. me at robbak@biz.net.au it would be a
help, but I'll keep up with the list via the web page.