Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:01:41 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        alex@big.endian.de
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: staroffice install

Hi:

You wrote:
>a) make install as user root in a terminal
>b) make install-user as the user in a terminal

I logged in as root, I did startx and checked that the terminal was OK with
echo $DISPLAY, then I changed to the /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5
directory and did a make deinstall and a make install.  The results:

  #make deinstall
  ===> Deinstalling for staroffice-5.1a
  pkg_delete: no such package 'staroffice-5.1a' installed
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5

NOTE: You werer right.  The port had not been installed.  But still I have a
directory structure and many files under the 'work' directory in
/sur/ports/editors/staroffice5.  Is this because it never got to the 'clean'
part of my former 'make install clean'?

  #make install

   <snip>

  /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5/work/so5inst/office51/setup: could not
create temporary directory (/usr/ports/edit/staroffice5/work/tmp/sv001.tmp)
  *** Error code 255 (ignored)
  install: /usr/local/Office51/bin: No such file or directory

  Stop in /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5
  *** Error code 1

THEN, when I log on as a user to try 'make install-user' (in a terminal and
from the /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5 directory), I get the same error
message as before.  (see my first email message)  Essentially it can't find
a file or directory which I think is /usr/local/Office51/bin.

I wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable before I proceed.  Do I
just need to create the /usr/local/Office/bin directory?  why isn't make
install doing what is needed?  If I 'make clean', will the port recreate the
directories and files it needs when I issue a new 'make install'?

BTW, I am using FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE with a ports tree CVSup-ed last night.

John